Saturday 7 July 2007

Viva Espana!!! (pt 2)



This image was my favourite thing at the cathedral in Palma.

The cathedral in itself was a beautiful piece of architecture, it was massive, felt holy and I enjoyed wandering around it, both inside and outside. This image is taken from a large piece of religious artwork, right near the exit. I love morbid Catholic imagery, I have no idea who the headless man is meant to be or why he was included on a piece of artwork that was made to go in a religious building. It's certainly not the sort of thing that I would want small children to see but nevertheless, in a world that condemns violence on TV and in computer games, if you put a violent image in a church, for some reason, it's OK. Brilliant!

I can see why loads of ex-pats emigrate to Spain. For a start, there's no security cameras covering your every single solitary last move, just in case you do something 'wrong' so they can fine you. People take their time doing things, I never felt like I had to rush for anything, not even when we got our flight home. And the airport staff at Palma could certainly show the poor excuse for 'Customer Services' that we got at Gatwick a thing or two.

It was the first time in recent years that I felt that, just for a few days, I could kick my shoes off, lie back and relax. I left all my worries at home and didn't get stressed or argue with my girlfriend once the whole time that we were away.

It was also sunny. We watched Sky news while we were there and I have to confess to stifling a chuckle when rain stopped play at Wimbledon practically every single day of our sun-drenched holiday. I didn't miss the rain and the damp and the general misery that seems to engulf our green little island.

The people of Britain need to start standing up for themselves. We put up with our controlling Government, their ridiculous laws, their pointless wars with countries we will never go to and, for the most part, have never heard of. We are letting them use their current 'War on Terror' as an excuse to strip each and every one of us of our fundamental human rights. Not even capitalist America attempts to treat their people so poorly. We are encouraged to be xenophobic, by a media that does the politicians publicity so very well and as a nation, we accept it all. Sometimes, you have to step back and try to take an objective view on things. I think that's what my little break away has done for me. If this country doesn't change, I'll be saving every last penny I can and disappearing off to the sunshine as soon as I've got enough of them to start a new life for myself.

No comments: