Sunday 8 July 2007

Back To Work....(Boo Hiss Boo)

I am faced with the gloomy prospect of returning to work tomorrow.

It's not quite the Apocalypse, with the Four Horsemen and their Legions of Doom and Destruction descending upon the world, intent on destroying all in their path and leaving chaos, death and disease in their wake, but I'm feeling a bit glum. The prospect of returning to my normal life after a week of ignoring my mobile and not having to get up in the morning before I feel like it is not one that I'm relishing right about now.

In all honesty, I think everybody feels this sort of low after a holiday. It's a bit like the come-down after taking drugs but without the horrible 'your-body-is-going-to-disintegrate-any-moment-now' kind of feeling that you get with a narcotic withdrawal. What is the same is that rather grey cloud looming over my head, like I'm never going to be quite that happy ever again (or at least not for a Very Long Time Indeed). It certainly doesn't make me want to dance about, that's for sure. Plus work is No Smoking now, and I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to cope with that after 6 years of being able to have a cigarette when I'm working. This is partly because I never really used to get breaks, and it was my boss's way of stopping me either having a nervous breakdown, or complaining I think! I will definitely be taking my breaks now, although this is going to be difficult and may cause problems down the line....

Never Mind. I've been reading back through my previous blogs and I really do moan A Lot. Am going to try and cut it down a bit. I'm refusing to give up the smokes so I suppose I ought to make a go of giving up something else I like doing instead. Am not sure that the previous sentence was, strictly speaking, in Good English but I'm going to leave it the way it is. Although I make a point of never editing my comments, even when I read back something that I am no longer cross about and realise that perhaps I didn't need to rant about it with quite so much venom, I have to confess to correcting any spelling and grammar mistakes that I notice. I don't mean to, but bad grammar bothers me. If I were reading a novel and the writer couldn't be bothered to construct a half-decent sentence, I would put it down. I can't help it. It's like a sort of Tourettes.

Well, maybe not as extreme as Tourettes (I exaggerate too much as well) but it's a sort of involuntary reaction that I have.


"Quick! Correct that spelling mistake! And PUT THAT COMMA IN THE RIGHT PLACE!!!"


Like the World will grind to a shuddering halt and everyone will take a moment to point and laugh at my hideous grammar......

I'm a bit weird.

No comments: