Sunday 29 April 2007

Why The Smoking Ban Is A Bad Idea

Our Government is banning smoking in public places in just over two months time. Apparently this is because people in Britain have completely lost the ability to think for themselves, and need lots of help with staying healthy. Obviously the fundamental human right of having the freedom of choice to make our own decisions for better or for worse in our own lives is, apparently, no longer necessary.
I don't like non-smokers who give lectures on the dangers of smoking or cough loudly next to me while I'm puffing away in the pub. The worst kind of non-smoker is the ex-smoker. People who have managed to banish their filthy addiction seem to feel the need to let those of us who still enjoy the odd fag how much 'better' their life is now. Yawn.
Of course, smoking is bad for you. It can cause or contribute to all manner of nasty illnesses and in extreme cases, even death itself. The problem I have is that nowadays, everything is bad for you. Not just smoking, there is an enormous list that includes drinking alcohol, eating the 'wrong' food, watching television, surfing the Internet, non sleeping enough, not exercising enough, sleeping too much, exercising too much, salt and even drinking too much water can be fatal. Where does it stop? At what point are we going to say to ourselves that seeing as we're only on this planet for somewhere between fifty and a hundred years, which is a Very Short Time Indeed, perhaps we should stop worrying about what's going to kill us, and concentrate on enjoying the things that make us feel alive. And if that includes having a daily nicotine fix and the occasional beer and even (God Forbid!) the odd Friday night kebab, then so be it!
I am so fed up with being nannied constantly by the people who run this country. If I want to be unhealthy then that should be my choice.
I can hear non-smokers twitching. Yes, I know, smoking affects those around you too. So here is my message-
GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Use your own freedom of choice and BOG OFF!
I have no problems with abstaining from smoking around children, or in restaurants or cinemas or shops or art galleries or indeed any of the numerous places that already exist where you can't smoke. However, when I go to the pub, I want a fag. If I can't smoke when I'm out, I shall be staying in.
The biggest problem that this is going to create is the fact (certainly in my own opinion and experience) that smokers spend more money when they're out than non-smokers. They gamble harder, drink harder and generally try and enjoy themselves a bit more. I know that if I'm not out of work within six months of the ban being put in place, it will be a miracle.
So thank-you to all the people that lobbied for this. Well done! I'm going to end up unemployed so that you can stay in too- because it won't just be my little bingo hall that shuts down. Pubs, clubs and venues across the country will be closing their doors by this time next year.
And I still refuse to give up......
I'm no quitter!

No comments: