Friday 27 April 2007

The Problem With Blogging

This is my sixth blog. I recently discovered blogging and have to confess that it's thoroughly enjoyable. I get to vent all the things that usually make me Very Bad Tempered Indeed and I've always enjoyed writing things down. A few years ago, a friend of mine had an ex-girlfriend who used to keep an online diary, which I have to confess to making fun of. This was chiefly because she used it to publicly denounce him and call him all sorts of names and he, the fool, used to read her vitriolic outbursts on a regular basis and then complain about it for days on end. I don't know if anyone but the two of them ever read it, but it was a bone of contention between them, long after their relationship should have been dead, buried and forgotten about.
Nobody but me is reading my blog. I know this because I spent about four hours yesterday trying to work out how to get a site-meter that worked on it. I am not computer literate. I can do the basics like switching it on and off and shopping online but that's about it. I spent a disgusting amount of money on my PC and have a super-fast Internet connection along with a memory the size of Bulgaria but despite all this, it is still a foreign land to me. I am learning though and after much fiddling and swearing yesterday, I found a site that does meters and actually explained how to put one on my blog. In really easy-to-understand terms.
This is part of the problem with the Internet. Most people know what they're doing with computers, and for those of us that only have a vague recollection of banging away on a keyboard the size of an average fridge-freezer whilst at school, they have changed somewhat. If you don't know what you're doing, you daren't ask anybody for fear of being ridiculed so if you need to do something new, the only way forward is Trial and Error.
The thing is, I only wanted a meter because I know that Other People Have Them. Not because I am expecting vast amounts of cyber-traffic to come hurtling through my little world, three days after it came into existence. But then, as the various sites that supply them explained to me, if I don't have one, I will never know how many people are viewing my little blog. Even if it's only two other people over the course of the next millenia.
I got sucked in to a bizarre Internet-exclusive marketing ploy. I admit it! In the real world, I am immune to these sort of sales pitches. I have even mastered the art of going to the supermarket with a list of What I Need, only purchasing What I Need and not buying anything that's on offer because they say it's What I Need. I am going to have to work on my will of steel whilst online I think......
If you are reading this, I now know about it and you can be self-assured you have cheered me up and made my four hour expedition to get a meter that works all worthwhile. Thank-you xx

No comments: