Saturday 12 June 2010

Why Do We Blog?

I've noticed that I generally come back to my blog when things in my life are generally going in a fairly crappy direction......I suppose it's almost like a form of counselling for me, I write the things that are in my head down and once they're out I feel slightly better for it. Most of the time it's just because I'm annoyed or angry about something, but I also write when I'm feeling sad. I don't always write the sad things down, because to open up to the interweb would be silly when you consider the fact that I struggle to talk to my closest friends but I do write something down. It's a very cathartic experience for me, and I like reading back over old posts, knowing that I'm the only person in the whole world who actually knows what each one was all about at the time. They bring back many memories, some happy, some not so happy but the actual act of writing is something I don't think I will ever tire of.


I like flicking through other people's blogs, as it interests me why other people write theirs. I'd imagine there are some who have the same reasoning that I do, and find writing a useful coping tool. After perusing a number, however, it did strike me that there are a HUGE amount of people out there who really do like to say:


"Check Out My GREAT Life! Neh neh neh neeeeh neh"


I think if I had to trawl through just one more selection of happy, smiling family photos, I may just launched my laptop out the window.


Now, I know that nobody really follows my blog. I get the odd visitor from time to time but this collection of scribblings really is for me. If people want to read it, great. But I don't really mind if they don't, I would still be here whiling away the small hours drivelling on about nonsense. I wouldn't know how to go about being creative for the benefit of others, for me art is all about the self-indulgent. I create things for me, to make me feel good. Even when I'm writing songs, or singing, it's still all about me. If you're watching, you may be fooled into thinking that I'm performing for an audience.



You would be wrong.



It's ALWAYS all about me.



Don't let anybody else fool you into thinking that ANYTHING they do that's remotely creative really is for the viewer, it never is. It's not just me being a self-indulgent, self-obsessed, attention seeking crazy person. There are millions of us, all out there, vying for your attention. It's really not about gathering opinions either. Anybody who is creative knows whether they are happy with their work or not. If they have made something and you don't like it, well you are just plain wrong, and that's all there is to it.



That's what annoys me about all those Happy Family/Happy Holiday/Happy Children/Happy Anything Blogs. They just don't feel honest to me, the people who write them always make out liek they're for someone else. But they aren't.



I don't get it.

No comments: