Thursday 24 June 2010

Just GET ON WITH IT!!!!

It never ceases to amaze me how and why people in general don't seem to want to take responsibility for anything they do.

Throughout life, you will spend every single day making decisions. As a child, people will make decisions about the important stuff for you, but as anyone who has ever seen a toddler throw a tantrum knows well, even the youngest among us are making decisions from way before they can even spell the word or understand it's meaning.

As you get older, decisions move from the simple and necessary to the more complex and demanding. Particularly when it comes to your job....well for some of us anyway. Even fairly low-level and not-very-well-paid jobs will normally hold an element of decision making.

What confuses me is what when people make bad decisions (in either work or life circumstances), all too often they then don't want to have to responsibility or deal with the consequences of their actions. It confuses me because we spend out whole lives learning about making decisions and how to deal with it when we do the wrong thing. For me, the sooner I admit I am wrong and start working out how to fix my mistakes, the faster I can learn from the whole experience and move on.

All too often recently, I have found myself in situations where other people have made bad decisions, and instead of trying to correct the wrongs, they have then spent an inordinate amount of time and energy looking for someone or something else to blame. Once they have found somewhere to point the finger, they then do everything they can to avoid having to clean up the mess. The result is that, things take longer to sort out. A lot longer in many cases.

I don't know why people behave in this way. It is pretty alien to me and doesn't make any sense. It must be hugely stressful to have to spend your whole time worrying about who's fault anything that goes wrong is. And also, whether you can convince anyone who'll listen that it isn't you own fault. Surely it is easier to admit defeat, fix things quickly and move on....and also through the process of fixing your mistakes how not to make them again.

I am really starting to think I am some sort of alien, I just don't seem to think like most of the people I know.........

No comments: