Friday 18 May 2007

The Problem With Jogging

I have recently taken up jogging.
If you knew me, you would currently be rolled up in a ball on the floor, laughing uncontrollably. Yes, heavy smoking, hard drinking, poor eating little old me is getting up first thing in the morning and going for a run!
The strange thing is, I've always looked upon joggers with more than a little disdain. When I was in my early teens, hanging round in parks with my friends, drinking cider, I was always the first to break into a chorus of 'Keep on Running' as they puffed and panted past.
It's not that I've really got anything against joggers, it's just that they always look like they're taking themselves extremely seriously, when they aren't really doing anything that warrants quite that much self-importance. I've realised since I've taken it up myself, that running for any length of time involves a huge amount of will power and concentration! It's actually REALLY hard.
Last Saturday, I was out at 8am. I live near a river which has a path running alongside it, and to be honest, it's beautiful in the morning. I have an excuse to be out that early on a weekend, as I work them anyway so getting up a couple of hours earlier isn't really a big deal. Anyway, as I was puffing along, there were people out playing pitch and putt on the miniature golf course! At 8am on a Saturday! I didn't realise that ANYBODY could possibly be that mad. To top it off, a family then passed me, coming the other way. Mum and daughter were motoring along on a pair of pushbikes and Dad was sprinting alongside, whilst pushing baby in the pram. Bonkers!
Being up and out early in the morning has opened up a whole new world for me. One that I was totally unaware existed in the first place AND, it's less that a mile from my home!
Trying to be healthy is one of my latest whims. Its lasted for over three days though so I'm fairly proud of my ability to stick with this one. I couldn't promise that something more interesting isn't going to catch my eye though. The main problem I have with any form of exercise is that it's all repetitive and pretty boring. You can start a fitness programme with the best intentions in the world, but after a few weeks of the same old thing it becomes a lot harder to find any sort of motivation. Even if I stick this out through the summer, by this time in six months, the mornings will be dark, cold and wet and my duvet is going to be a far more appealing place to be....

No comments: