Friday 18 May 2007

The Problem With Blogging pt 2

I read quite a lot of other blogs.
It's really interesting to me to see what Other People are using theirs for. Mine is a sort of diary/forum for whinging where nobody tells me to 'shut-up and stop being so negative'! Although if anybody apart from me was reading this, they would have the opportunity to do so via the comments I suppose.
My blog is essentially for my own personal use. I do not have links to lots of other sites, and have no intention of becoming a fully fledged member of the blogging community. I choose to remain as anonymous as possible because although I don't have a problem with anybody reading what I have to say, I don't really want them to know who I am. This could lead to my editing myself, when I started this blog with the intention of using it to free my mind and say whatever I'm thinking at any given time. I don't care if what I have to say offends or upsets anybody because nothing that they retaliate to my commentary on my life with could be personal, because they know very little about who I really am. That being said, if anybody who knew me read my musings, they would know that they were mine, but of course, they couldn't prove it without a picture of me grinning inanely in the top corner and a detailed map to my house in the profile.
The thing I find strange about many of the other blogs I have been perusing is that most people seem to use them as a way of broadcasting their existence to the world. They have friends and family leaving comments and hundreds of visitors, all zooming in to view the latest video clip of their baby/cat/boyfriend. I'm fairly different in the sense that, as yet, I have failed to post a single photograph from my life. That's something I may do in the future- but it certainly won't be of me or my family.
In this day and age, simple things like your name, address and date of birth have become valuable commodities. In Britain, we are caught on cctv anything up to several hundred times a day! When you compare that to America, where the average is seven times, that statistic becomes pretty scary. I don't understand why it has become so necessary for Big Brother to see what we're doing all the time, but apparently most people haven't read 1984, and nobody seems to be that bothered. In this age of technology, you can't stay hidden from anyone. Which is why I won't be posting my name on my blog. Nobody needs to know who I am in this little world, and to be honest, by remaining anonymous, anybody reading this is much more likely to get a realistic version of what's really going on in my head. It's the one place that I don't have to maintain a fabulously groomed exterior or pretend I don't fart!

No comments: