Friday 25 May 2007

Probably The Last Post I Will Ever Write.....

Oh. My. God.
My girlfriend is 'experimenting' in the kitchen.
It's my fault. I've been preparing my own meals since I was about thirteen and I've got a fairly cavalier attitude to cooking. It's a long process of trial and error, and after over ten years of messing about in the kitchen, I can bash a pretty decent meal out, even if all we've got in the cupboard is baked beans and a kitchen roll tube.
Recently, I've been trying out a lot of new things as I've been dieting and trying to eat much more healthily. This has gone down pretty well with she of the chocolate and cake addiction, and at this very moment, she is herself, in the kitchen chopping vegetables and asking me to explain how to cook rice.
The rice is easy, as fortunately for my saucepans, we have a steamer which turns out perfect rice every time. As she doesn't have to touch it, I think it'll be fine. I'm not sure about the rest of it though. On the surface, it's simply a combination of vegetables and beans. All she has to do is stir-fry them and then add the rice at the end........
Hmmmmm. The thing is, when you've spent a lot of time cooking a variety of different things, you can just look at stuff and know whether its cooked or not. Or if you should turn the heat up/down/call the fire brigade. It's really hard to explain to another person, particularly a person who has spents the vast majority of their adulthood surviving on take-aways and Mr Kipling's finest produce.
I'm going to either have to trust her- and in so doing risk the well-being of my stomach lining, or interfere and destroy what little confidence she has. She's pretty good at chips and pasta and basic stuff like that but tonight's fare really is going to be a step-up, I just hope she can rise to the challenge.....
Actually, maybe I'm just being a tiny bit patronising. It'll be fine, I'm sure. Why am I worrying? Maybe it's because I'm so used to the kitchen being Mine. If I'm honest, I'm probably feeling slightly threatened by somebody venturing into My Territory. If I don't do the cooking in the household, I might end up having to do the cleaning- and That would be awful!! Oh No!!
I can't imagine anything worse that being responsible for things like taking the rubbish out and Polishing. Urgh!!
Oh well, hopefully this is just going to be a pleasant experience and isn't going to rock the foundation of my home life.........

No comments: