Wednesday 15 February 2012

The Ongoing Saga of Creepy Guitar Strap Man

I posted this on Facebook a while ago but as it follows on from my last post, I thought I would share it on here too.

I thought I would share this with everyone I know because it's (fairly) amusing and also highlights that when you're a performer EVEN if you aren't "successful" as such, you can still attract total freak stalkers.

I've had a YouTube page for a couple of years or so and thus far it's been a fairly useful tool for promoting myself and getting more people to hear me singing.  I've met some cool people on there, it's opened the door on some interesting projects and I'm really grateful for all the support and advice I've got as a direct result.

Last January, I started getting messages from a fellow YouTuber (I call him Creepy Guitar Strap Man)- all of which I initially ignored-

CGSM: "u wanna wear your strap more while sittin doin songs to u can do better ty"
Me: ...
CGSM: "i think u should try wearin your strap while sittin u can do real good bye"
Me: ...
CGSM: "u wanna sit with the strap on more then stand u can do good that way ty you"
Me: ...

He left me alone for a few months, and I thought that was the end of being harassed.....however, a little while later, he started messaging me again-

CGSM: "u wanna wear your strap while sittin doin songs u can do good that way ty"
Me: (at this point I thought it might be amusing to wind him up a bit and see if I could get him to admit why he was asking me) "So if I wear my strap will I sound better?"
CGSM: "ya u will play better with your guitar strap on sittin doin your songs trust me it will work i think it will ty"
Me: "So does it help with the singing or just the guitar playing?"
CGSM: "just the guitar playin u can hold guitar better with the strap on sittin doin your songs trust me it works ty"

For anyone that doesn't play guitar and doesn't know, what he's saying is utter rubbish and not even remotely true, so I knew for sure it was some sort of odd fetish thing.  At this point I uploaded a new video- without wearing a guitar strap.

CGSM: "i told ya to wear your strap while sittin doin songs on guitar does anyone listen to me must not be :(( bye"

Then I uploaded another video, standing up playing guitar (with strap)

CGSM: "u wanna listen to me and wear your strap while sittin to doin songs please i would be happy bye"
I now upload another song, sans strap
CGSM: "how many times do i ask ya to wear your strap while sittin on guitar i told ya that bye"
Me: "Ok the constant mails are getting a little weird now.....FYI I've talked to many of my guitarist friends about this and wearing a strap makes NO difference to guitar playing at all....If you're interested in the music I play then by all means keep watching, if not I suggest you go and bother someone else.  Don't mean to be harsh but you're getting kinda annoying........"

Funnily enough, he never responded to my last email.....the annoying thing is, the account he mailed from isn't subscribed or friended to my account which means that (as he tends to mail straight after uploads) that it's another of my subscribers using an alt account- which is more than likely because he's been barred from YouTube for sending creepy emails to women asking them to wear their guitar strap!!!  I don't want to remove and block innocent people who've subbed because they really like what I do so am a bit stuck :/

On the plus side, having a creepy stalker IS kinda rock n roll.....even if it is one with the weirdest fetish I've come across so far (and I've typed "wool fetish" into Google Images so I know what I'm talking about)!!

No comments: